Friday, April 13, 2012

Asparagus Soup

It's been forever since I posted a recipe.  It's not that I haven't been busy in the kitchen, I sort of lost my way.  Then a very good friend of mine came to visit this past week and she gave the push I needed to start up, again.  So, today I have a delicious Asparagus Soup for you today.  It is so yummy that I've had to make it twice in one week.  My kids loved it, my husband loved it and most importantly, my friend loved it.  It's easy to make and super healthy!  A perfect Spring soup for these sort of warm/cold days.

Asparagus Soup

3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1 large Vidalia or other sweet onion, chopped (~ 2 cups)
4-5 cloves of garlic, minced or grated
3 bunches of fresh asparagus spears (~3 lb.), trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. fresh ground pepper
6 cups vegetable broth
4 oz. grated white cheddar cheese (more for garnish, if desired)

1.  Sauté onion in butter, until soft and translucent over medium heat, about 3-5 minutes.
2.  Add garlic and cook for about 1 minute, until fragrant.
3.  Add the asparagus, paprika, salt and pepper.  Sauté all the vegetables for about 1-2 minutes.
4.  Add vegetable broth to the pot and bring to a boil on high heat.   Lower heat to medium and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the asparagus spears are soft and the liquid has cooked down and thickened.
5.  Transfer ingredients to a blender and purée in batches, until smooth.
6.  Pour soup back into the pot and add the grated cheddar cheese.  Mix until the cheese has melted and incorporated through the soup.
7.  Enjoy!

2 comments: